When I started my research career, I was interested in the structure and function of cellular proteins and used various single-molecule imaging and measuring techniques. Eventually, I became more fascinated by proteins without any 3D structures and started to work with hydrogel and liquid-liquid phase separation. How are nucleolus, chromosome, RNA granules, nuclear pore complex, and cytoskeleton constructed in an intracellular milieu, and how are their functions regulated by post-translational modifications? We tackle these questions by integrating live-cell imaging, proteomics, and bioinformatics approaches and biophysics, soft-matter physics, and structural biology.
I graduated from Kyoto University (Faculty of Integrated Human Studies) in 1997 and obtained Ph.D. in Graduate School of Human and Environmental Studies, Kyoto University in 2002. I was then assigned as an Assistant Professor at the Graduate School of Biostudies (GSB), Kyoto University. In 2004, I was studying single-molecule force measurement at the University of California Berkeley as a MEXT overseas researcher. I have been an Associate Professor at the GSB since 2007, and supervise many graduate students.
- Cell cycle-specific phase separation regulated by protein charge blockiness.
H. Yamazaki, M. Takagi, H. Kosako, T. Hirano and S.H. Yoshimura
Nat. Cell Biol. 24(5): 625-632
- Interactions between non-structured domains of FG- and non FG-nucleoporins coordinate the ordered assembly of the nuclear pore complex in mitosis.
H.A. Konishi and S.H. Yoshimura
FASEB J., 34(1): 1532-1545
- Morphological changes of plasma membrane and protein assembly during clathrin-mediated endocytosis
A. Yoshida, N. Sakai, Y. Uekusa, Y. Imaoka, Y. Itagaki, Y. Suzuki, and S.H. Yoshimura
PLOS Biol., 16(5): e2004786
- Prolines in the α-helix confer the structural flexibility and functional integrity of importin
M. Kumeta, H.A.Konishi, W. Zhang, S. Sakagami and S.H. Yoshimura
J. Cell Sci., 131(1): jcs206326
- In vivo analysis of protein crowding within the nuclear pore complex in interphase and mitosis
H.A. Konishi, S. Asai, T. Watanabe and S.H. Yoshimura
Sci. Rep., 7(1): 5709